Tai Chi Camp in 2009


     After the biggest typhoon in about 60 years hit Japan, there was an annual tai chi camp in Nishiura Onsen Hot spring, Gamagori on October 10th and 11th. More than 300 people took part in it and I had a good time and learned many things there. Gamagori is famous for tangerines and fishery products. I also enjoyed seeing many unripe green tangerines on the way to the beach hotel.

     I joined in the camp with two of my friends. Because most room had five people, we had other two people in the same room. It was revealed soon that those two ladies were really nice and kind. During the camp, we’ve made good friends each other.  TS3N0080

     After entering the room, we went out to the court of the hotel by the sea to practice. It was clear up and the sun was dazzling after the typhoon outside. Most of the participants enjoyed doing tai chi together. I was also able to see a few people I hadn’t seen for almost a year there.

     We moved to a big room inside for practicing after a while because the sunshine was too strong and it was too windy to keep on doing outside. After the practice, I returned to my room with my roommates and enjoyed chattering.  TS3N00830001

     As night fall, we had a feast. Each person picked a card written a number when they arrived at the hall. All of us had to sit at the table which had the same number. The organizer did that because they thought it was nice for us to get to know new people. My number was 79. When I was looking for my seat, seeing my number, a man talked to me. His number was 81. He was very friendly.  TS3N0084

     For a while, the seat 80 was empty, but an old woman came to me. She had the card #80. And she is 80 years old. She was very talkative and energetic in spite of her age. A young woman sitting at my left side was also nice and kind. I enjoyed talking with many nice people over delicious seafood. We had some games at the feast as well, and some people wan and got prizes. 

     After the feast, we had a lecture about tai chi. I couldn’t focus on it because I had ate too much… TS3N0081

     Next day, I got up around 5:30 in the morning. I’m usually asleep that time, but I even saw a sunrise and many fishery boats put to sea in a rush that morning. The reason why I got up so early is because we had an early morning practice at 6:00. The wind was cold, but it was nice to have done tai chi outside. The breakfast after exercise was really nice!TS3N0091

     About 50 test-takers for becoming grand masters did tai chi before the judge in the morning. It was filled with a sense of tension in the room, but all of them performed very well and were reviewed and approved as grand masters. Congratulations!

     After that all of the participants did tai chi together and the camp was over…TS3N0097

     The two of my friends and I visited a temple on our way back home. The temple’s chief priest and his wife were our friends, and the priest also took part in the camp. There is an about 150 year-old pine tree in the precincts, and we tried to take qui from the tree. My friends said that they felt something while stretching their arms out, but…I didn’t feel anything…Hmmm…I haven’t had enough training…TS3N0101


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s